Sunday 26 February 2012

Lent 5

The other day someone asked "What about the employees of the big supermarkets?"  We didn't do any shopping today (small independent shops don't tend to be open on Sundays) so I thought I'd take the opportunity to respond.  


First of all I would like to clarify that we don't believe that supermarkets are intrinsically wrong, or mean, or evil or anything silly like that.  Supermarkets provide a service which is great for many people.  They are open outside of office hours and they have lots of goods and sometimes services available in one location with plenty of free parking and disabled access.  They are cheap and convenient.  None of these things is bad.  For us, however, they are a luxury.  Our working patterns mean that one of us is usually around in the day, so we are able to go to shops that are only open in office hours.  We live in an area that is well supplied with independent stores in easy walking/cycling distance.  Indeed, until a new Sainsbury's opened up just down the road, we didn't visit supermarkets very often.  We did a big shop once a month and that was about it.  But recently we seem to be in there 3 or 4 times a week.  It is convenient and we think we end up spending more money.  If we can't do without supermarkets, who can?  


Secondly, fasting for lent is not about giving up things that are evil.  If I thought something I was doing was evil I hope I would stop doing it anyway, without waiting for lent!  Fasting for lent is about giving up a luxury, challenging yourself to grow in self-control.  That is what this is about.  


Thirdly I don't believe that our family of 3 avoiding Sainsbury's for 40 days will make a noticeable difference to their shareholders or employment plans.  I doubt even if everyone who reads this blog followed us in giving up supermarkets (which is not going to happen!) that it would make any difference. But let's say, for the sake of argument, that our fast made a difference...


a) With or without supermarkets we buy food.  In buying our food from different businesses we are simply supporting someone else's employment.  
b) Local shops combined undoubtedly employ more staff to shift the same amount of stock, so we are actually supporting the employment of more people.  
c) More shops equals more shop fitters, window cleaners, insurers, business rates, phone lines, etc, so more employees there too.  
d) Supermarkets are surely better at tax avoidance so we are, indirectly, helping to reduce the government deficit (with ensuing benefits for all).
e) Supermarkets have more bargaining power so are able to get the same produce for a lower wholesale price.  By buying locally we are supporting producers.  
f) Supermarkets give a false illusion of choice and actually supply fewer varieties of fruit, veg, etc so we are supporting diverse growers.  


This is all before we even touch on environmental impact, health benefits, potential financial savings to us, and education for our daughter on where her food comes from.  


So, whilst I hope I don't sound smug, I feel that our fast will do us good and I pray that the small impact that we can have will perhaps be the difference that keeps some small business going.  

3 comments:

  1. Really impressed with this Iffa. We love markets and farm shops and try to use them as much as possible. We are getting rather lazy as we have a tiny little one filling our time but this definitely makes
    me think. This is just the sort of blog my hubby would love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a single mother that works. I do not have the time to go to local shops in the day or the time with two small children. Supermarkets are perfect for people like myself, they are more convienient than your convienient local stores, escpecially with on-line shopping.
    Environmental impact of one large shop is less then all of your small shops, less glass, bulk arrival of goods in lorries instead of many small trips etc etc.
    I really wish people would get their facts straight first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But this is exactly my first point! Supermarkets are no bad thing, I'm just not convinced that everyone should choose them over other shops all of the time.

      I'm not sure about your environmental impact point as I think it is not as clear cut as that. It surely depends on the supermarket and the small shops in question.

      Delete